On February 18, 2013, a new patch for Smart View was released: 184.108.40.206.310. This release holds some pretty interesting new features that foreshadow the release of OBIEE 220.127.116.11.
- Support for OBIEE through Smart View (if you are on OBIEE 18.104.22.168)
- New VBA functions to interact with OBIEE
- Shared Connections can be stored in an XML file (used to provide access to OBIEE through Shared Connections). Could be pushed with a software install to new users for example.
- New document contents pane. Think of this as a table of contents for Smart View information located in your Office document.
- HsGetValue functions can be copied and pasted between files or Office applications (Why are you using HsGetValue? Hyperion Enterprise is dead, people.).
- Support for Shared Connections in functions. This is a nice feature for people building reports using Smart View.
- New reporting object called an Office Table. These are for Word only and look like a part of the Word document, but are refreshed using a Smart View connection. Allows users to format the table using Word formats, but members and data come from Smart View. That could be interesting for management or tax reporting that is done using Word.
- POV will now support 5000 members.
Basically download the patch #16238382 and install using the SmartView.exe, or by auto deploy, or from Workspace, or now from OBIEE apparently.
One little gotcha that I found was that the Windows 64-bit version of 16238382 does not include both the 32 and 64 bit installers as previous Smart View patches have. Keep that in mind if you are used to just grabbing one of the Smart View patches like me.
Here’s a link to Oracle’s Documentation Library for the 22.214.171.124.310 release of Smart View:
UPDATE – March 7, 2013:
Oracle has been contacting anyone that has downloaded this patch to inform them that the patch now includes the version.xml file that was originally missing in the patch. The version.xml is needed to do automatic updates to Smart View through Workspace. Setting up automatic updating is something that I normally don’t do because many users don’t have administrator rights on their computers.